Art for art's sake

Art for art's sake, what does that line even mean ?  It is attributed to a Frenchman in the early 19th Century who adopted it as a slogan. The literal meaning of which goes over my head I'm afraid. 
I had the paintings and prints in my home mentioned by a visitor recently, as varied and tasteful.  Which made me start thinking about the different times in my life they were purchased.





The original painting above is by local South West artist Glyn Macey.  I remember my husband and I had just returned from our honeymoon and were moving into our new home.  I wanted to splash out on a once in a lifetime piece of artwork befitting of our beautiful new house.  As soon as I saw this wonderful painting hanging in a gallery in Exeter I knew I had to have it, it was perfect.  Expensive, but perfect.  It has remained with us through good times and bad and now hangs in our forever home giving me joy every day.


Going back to the honeymoon, we happened upon a beautiful, quaint town in Florida.  It was actually scarily perfect with tree lined streets, perfect shutter window houses, immaculate parks and beautiful one off independent shops.  There was even the most wonderful Tiffany museum.  Whilst wandering around the town we came across an art gallery/shop with the most beautiful window display and couldn't resist popping in.  With warnings from my husband that our suitcases were already fit to burst for the trip home I just had to have the three prints above.  By the artist and storyteller Brian Andreas they each described perfectly what my husband and son meant to me at that time and how I felt about myself.

For my son Jacob.- Quiet Pride


For my Husband Nigel - good jumper


For myself - no more Secrets

I remember when the work of Doug Hyde another South West artist became popular and my husband and I were invited to a launch of his work at a local gallery in Exeter.  We got to meet the artist and he was a truly lovely man, with time to talk and interesting too.  His work was all about his family and family life.  I was determined we were just going to look and not buy.  Yep, well that worked !  I took one look at the limited edition print below and was smitten.



Sorry for the terrible photograph.  Called small, medium and large I felt it was our family at the time.  Nigel, me and Jacob and just fell in love with it.  These days it hangs above the stairs in our home and we tell the boys it is them.  Jacob, Milo and Jarvis !



I didn't buy any more art for many years until I started selling my own vintage homewares at craft shows and fairs.  At one of these events I came across the wonderful work of local artist Linda Bartlett.  I was supposed to be selling my bits and bobs to make some extra cash but couldn't resist buying this beautiful ethereal original piece.  Its very hard to show it in a photograph but it is almost ghostlike in quality and the paleness is what I was drawn to.  Linda overlaid the painting with tissue paper which gives a wonderful depth and feeling to the painting.


Several years later when I owned my own shop I was fortunate to be given a painting by Linda when she sold her work from my shop.  She didn't like the piece, but I love it.  I think it really sums up the beautiful little harbour towns in and around the South West.


Finally, having no spare cash these days to buy art. I had a dabble myself ! This huge canvas hangs above the bed in our bedroom bringing a splash of colour to our all white room.  I was so pleased with how it turned out but certainly don't think I am ANY kind of artist !

Art for art's sake.......

Its whatever you want it to be.